The Monroe Township area was settled in 1811 by David T. Finney, a native of New Jersey. The township was officially organized on June 8, 1825; approximately six months after the formation of Holmes County on January 4, 1825. Although Monroe township does not contain any incorporated towns, both Welcome and Paint Valley are well-known communities still in existence today. These communities consist of small acreage lots purchased by early setters. “The lots were never laid out, filed or recorded as a town.” according to the book Holmes County Ohio to 1985. More detailed information about Monroe Township can be found in the book Holmes County Ohio to 1985. The book is located in the Genealogy and Local History Room at the Central Library in Millersburg.