Grave Adventures 2012 Spring Cemetery Tour
Saturday, May 12th
11:45 am – 4:30 pm* (*approximate ending time)
Rain or Shine
11:45 am: Participants will meet at Deer Run Park (located next to the Central Library) for a box lunch. The meal includes beverage, choice of ham, turkey, chicken salad or egg salad sandwich, chips and a cookie.
12:40 pm: After the meal, participants will board a bus to begin the tour. The bus will depart promptly at 12:45 pm., and will travel to Oak Hill Cemetery, Killbuck, Glenmont, Nashville and Saltillo.
- Prehistoric Adena Mound Dedication at Oak Hill Cemetery: Participants will be part of a dedication ceremony of an Adena mound located at Oak Hill Cemetery designating it as a historic site.
- Killbuck: As we make our way to our first destination, learn about some of the interesting history of the Killbuck Valley including Killbuck Mills and the historic Fort Fizzle rebellion.
- SS. Peter & Paul Catholic Cemetery, Glenmont: Our first stop includes a visit to the SS. Peter & Paul Catholic cemetery. Learn the history of this Catholic settlement in Holmes County in addition to the proper techniques for creating a gravestone rubbing.
- Nashville United Methodist Cemetery: The Nashville United Methodist Cemetery offers a variety of opportunities to study the various symbols found on gravestones. This second stop of the trip will also include some haunting tales and local history of the Village of Nashville.
- Salem Reformed Cemetery, Saltillo: The last stop of the Grave Adventures Tour will take us to the famed Salem Reformed Cemetery, home of the headless angel. Here, you’ll also learn some of the interesting cemetery customs practiced by our ancestors.
We suggest the following to make your visit more comfortable. The tour will take place rain or shine:
- Comfortable clothing and footwear
- Small tote bag or backpack
- Binoculars and umbrella (optional)
Cost: $25/per person which includes box lunch and bus tour.
TOUR WILL TAKE PLACE RAIN OR SHINE!
Seats are still available!
Stop by the Library or call to reserve your spot!
Click 2012 Grave Adventures Spring Tour Brochure to download the brochure and registration form
Registration is on a first come/first serve basis
Contact the Central Library at 330-674-5972 with any questions