Things to Know About Health Insurance Options
- Ohio has chosen to use the federal exchange for health insurance rather than implementing a state-based exchange. The federal exchange is located online at Healthcare.gov.
- The federal exchange will open October 1, 2013. If an individual wishes their health insurance to begin January 1, 2014, they must enroll by mid-December. Open Enrollment will close March 31, 2014. A handout with dates is available here.
- There are four methods an individual can use to apply for health care insurance: mail, toll-free phone, online at Healthcare.gov, and in person through certified navigators. The toll-free phone number patrons can call for assistance is 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). Assistance is available in multiple languages.
- The federal government is currently evaluating grant applications from organizations who will serve as certified navigators for health insurance. These navigators will be trained by the federal government and will provide in-person assistance to individuals. This help will be available in September.
- If you are seeking health coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, be sure to apply before the end of the open season on March 31, 2014. If you haven’t enrolled by March 31, you won’t be able to apply until the next open season, unless you qualify for a special enrollment period or experience a qualifying life event. Open season for 2015 will likely begin on November 15, 2014.You can enroll in Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) at any time. There is no limited enrollment period for these programs.
Books in the Library Catalog
There are many more books in the catalog. Click on the catalog tab on the main page and type in the subject.