The mission of the Holmes County District Public Library is to improve the quality of life of Holmes County residents by designing and providing services. These services will fill their need to know, grow, understand, manage and enjoy the world they live in with freedom of thought.
Meeting Room Purpose
Integral to the service mission of the library is the provision of meeting room facilities for library-related activities and to community organizations engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual and charitable activities.
Availability and Access
- Library-related activities shall have precedence over all other meetings, and programs of community organizations may not interfere with library operations.
- Facilities will be made available to community organizations engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual and charitable activities on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.
- The library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of meetings or meeting room users. Use of the meeting facilities shall not be publicized in such a way as to imply library sponsorship of community group meetings.
- Meetings held in library facilities by community organizations must be open to the public.
- Use of the facilities must be requested 5 days in advance by submitting a meeting room request form provided by the library, and the requestor must agree to accept the terms of this policy as a condition of use.
- The meeting room may only be reserved by an adult (age 18 years or older) and at least one adult must be present during the meeting.
- Frequency of use is limited to twice per month by the same group.
- Meetings may be booked only three months in advance unless granted special permission.
Library sponsored programs and events held in the meeting room are exempt from these limits.
- The library asks that requests be made using the online form available on our website at www.holmeslibrary.org. If you do not have access to our website, a meeting room request form may be picked up at, and submitted to, the Central library. If you need assistance or have a question, please call the Administrative Assistant at the library at 330-674-5972 ext 209. A separate form must be completed for each date the facilities are requested. A submitted request form is not a confirmation of a reservation, and groups should not make plans for an event until they are contacted by the library.
- The library will provide tables, chairs and equipment, if available.
- Meetings may be scheduled during regular library hours, excluding legal holidays and Sundays.
- Meetings must begin prior to the closing of the library and must end by 11:00 p.m.
- Please contact the library for current hours of operation, or access that information on the library’s website.
- The meeting room will accommodate up to 100 persons.
Use of the meeting facilities are free of charge, however the library will accept monetary donations from groups or individuals in appreciation of this service.
Admission fees are not permitted for programs held in the library since they might restrict access based on an individual or groups ability to pay. No fund raising events are permitted unless sponsored by the library. Users of the meeting room are responsible for setup of tables and chairs and also for cleanup of the room before leaving the library. This includes returning tables and chairs to original locations, proper disposal of food and drink items. If the meeting room is not left in the condition it was found, the contact person on the Request Form will be notified by the Administrative Assistant and a fee will be assessed for custodial services or repairs to furnishings and equipment.
Food and Drink
As a community service, the library makes a small kitchenette available with meeting facilities for light refreshments (i.e. cookies, potato chips, doughnuts, finger sandwiches, coffee, tea, punch, etc.). Community groups must provide their own refreshments, including tea, coffee, cups, cutlery, plates, etc. Alcoholic beverages and meals (hot or cold) may not be served. Smoking is not permitted in any location inside, or directly outside of the library. Please call the Administrative Assistant at the library at (330) 674-5972 ext. 209 if you have any questions regarding this section of the policy.·
- The Board of Trustees of the Holmes County District Public Library reserves the right to make any changes at any time in the use of any and all facilities or equipment of the Holmes County District Public Library.
(Policy revised – 8/19/98; approved – 8/19/98; revised 3/17/11)