Library services to persons with disabilities
The joint effort between the Holmes County Board of MR/DD and the Holmes County District Public Library to establish the Special Needs Lending Library meets our mission to provide services to the disabled and their caregivers and meet our goal of reaching out to all of the disabled in the community and provide them access to the resources provided through this project. If you know of someone who may be in need of the special resources available in the Special Needs Lending Library, please share this information with them. We hope that the special collections will meet the needs of those who most need them and enhance their quality of life.
William Martino, Library Director
- Resources for professionals working with the disabled
- Parent/Teacher resources on Developmental disabilities
- Audio-Visual training materials
- Children’s picture books
- Adaptive toy collection geared towards developmental education of children and adults with disabilities
Internet-enabled computer Workstation:
The public access computer can be used to places holds on items available through the Library’s online catalog; to search the library’s premium databases; and to search the internet for materials on living and working with those with disabilities.
Self Checkout Computer: All resources must be checked out using a valid Holmes County District Public Library Card.
- All materials, including books and toys must be checked out using a valid Holmes County District Public Library card.
- All materials check out for 28 days and must be renewed once as long as no one is waiting for the item.
- Fines will not accrue on items checked out, but overdue notices and bills for lost or damaged items will be generated. Since the collections are limited, please return materials promptly.
- The primary purpose of the Special Needs Lending Library is to serve the disabled and their caregivers.
- The Adaptive Toy collection may only be borrowed by residents of Holmes County and can be reserved for pickup at any Holmes County District Public Library location or bookmobile stop.
- Within Holmes County, resource materials and toys can be requested form the online catalog and delivered to Holmes County District Public Library locations via our CARGO delivery system.
To access the Special Needs Lending Library, please sign in at the main office at the Training Center.
If no staff member is available in the Special Needs Lending Library, please go to the main office for assistance.
The Special Needs Lending Library will be staffed part-time by an employee of the Holmes County Training Center.
When a staff member is not present, please check out materials using the self-check computer.
If you do not have a valid Holmes County District Public Library Card, you may apply for one with the staff member on duty or visit any Holmes County District Public Library location to register.
For any additional questions about the Special Needs Lending Library, please contact William Martino, Director;
Or via telephone at 330-674-5972 ext. 201
This project was supported in part by Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services funds, granted through the State Library of Ohio.